Top 3 Signs It’s Time To Replace Your Roof
Are you worried about your roof? The cost of a roofing replacement can be shocking for most homeowners. However, it will need to get done to avoid more costly damages down the line. Not knowing exactly what is required could cause some delays in the whole process.
If you aren’t sure what to look for, here are three common signs that it’s time to consider roofing replacement.
1 – The Attic Is Compromised
If you suspect your roofing is in poor condition, the first place to check is your attic. It’s where you can see the underside of your roof. It often shows some tell-tale signs when your roof is in bad shape. Look for the following:
- Water stains on the attic ceiling or rafters, caused by water getting under the shingles or penetrating the nail holes
- Pooling or dripping water where water is actively leaking
- Daylight coming through the roof deck where holes have opened up
- Daylight around the edges of chimneys and vents, caused by failed flashing
- Soggy or flattened insulation caused by excessive moisture
These are all signs that water is getting into your attic space and may be infiltrating the house below. Get a roofer out immediately to address these issues before it leads to a full roofing replacement.
2 – The Roof Is Sagging
The structure of your roof should be stable. Meaning when you step outside and look at your roof, the ridge and deck should be straight and true. If you see any signs of sagging, your roof’s structure is in trouble. There are several reasons for something like this to happen.
- The ridge of the roof can start to sag when the rafters begin to fail. That can happen if the beams are damaged or if the roofing material is too heavy.
- It can also be a factor of the home’s age or the way the roof is initially constructed.
- The flat plane of the roof can sag if the decking has begun to leak. The wood starts to rot under the shingles. As the rot spreads, it causes the roof deck to start sagging.
Regardless of what the case may be, retaining a professional roofer is highly-recommended. If the structure is compromised, you will need to do a full roofing replacement.
3 – The Shingles Are Falling Apart
Check the condition of the shingles. No need to climb up on the roof to do this. Just step far enough away to get a full view of the roof. All the shingles should be intact and lying flat to the deck.
The following are some of the most common signs of shingles starting to deteriorate or the roof has sustained substantial damage:
- You have missing or damaged shingles
- Shingle edges are curling or buckling
- Some shingles have dents on the surface.
It’s important to note, be sure to inspect your rain gutters when taking a closer look at the shingles. Believe it or not, if you find shingle granules in the gutters it means the roof is rapidly losing its protective coating. This leads to exposure of the underlayment. Loss of protective coating and weakening layers delivers little resistance or damage caused by the outdoor elements.
Let Us Help You
Hire a reputable roofer who knows what kind of repairs or replacement work would be needed. If you are located in the Northwest Arkansas area, be sure to check out Foster Roofing.
As expert roofers, we provide repair and replacement services for commercial and residential homes. For more information or a free estimate, don’t hesitate to contact us today.